(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: DocSarah's Latest Blog

DocSarah's Latest Blog 12 years, 6 months ago #1090

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
POSTED by Kim - WRITTEN by DocSarah

Ordinary Heroes

I was watching Harry's Heroes on TV the other night. For those that didn't see it, the programme was about severely injured English soldiers (from the war in Afghanistan), some of whom had lost limbs, who embarked on a trip in the Arctic. Prince Harry spent some of the time with them. I was amazed, humbled and moved by their bravery and tenacity.

Also, comedian David Walliams (Little Britain etc.) swam the Thames to raise money for charity. Despite 'Thames belly', he persevered, swimming 140 miles in all.

The media and public celebrate these as heroic deeds. I also received through the post today an envelope from the Royal British Legion reminding me about Poppy Day and the need for us to remember today's fallen heroes as well as those who gave their lives in past wars. The front of the envelope was covered in pictures of soldiers who have died in the recent conflict.

And then, of course, there has been the recent anniversary of 9/11 and various programmes following up on families whose lives were torn apart that day.

These all celebrate people responding to extraordinary events. But what of the unsung, ordinary heroes who are struggling through chronic pain every day? Because, make no mistake, chronic pain is a battlefield, a war of attrition that threatens not only the person afflicated with pain, but also their loved ones. I know of so many who soldier on, who may seem to others to be unremarkable.

There are ordinary heroes everywhere..so let's celebrate them as much as those we see in the public eye.
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by Kim.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds