The Aword

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

doctor help please on procedure ? or anyone...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: doctor help please on procedure ? or anyone...

Re:doctor help please on procedure ? or anyone... 18 years, 8 months ago #124

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Marti
Had Brain Fade yesterday. The adjuvant medication I was trying to think of was Oromorph, or liquid morphine. I will have to go back to the Doc's tables to find the US equivilent so will try again for tonight.MSContin is slow release, I believe and oromorph is quick acting (within 30 minutes) but has a shorter life span.
Just remembered an article I have got, written by a neurophysiologist student, on morphine and how to take it effectively, will try to dig it out and post. It's not by the Doc (pre Doc time but was approved by her as ok.) I will have to type it up tho.
It's my birthday today so have to arrange a 'tea party' for all the grandchildren
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:doctor help please on procedure ? or anyone... 18 years, 8 months ago #125

• Marti
  • Fresh Boarder
Happy Birthday Kim!
I hope your Grandbabies gave you cake and ice cream.

I went to Boston yesterday for a consultation with a Dr. that was supossed to be an expert on AA. He has written papers on the subject he says and will mail them to me. I brought my pre-surgery MRI showing the granuloma at the catheter tip as well as the rest of the spine. He says that the AA is localized at that area just where the cord turns into the cauda equina. I asked him if he felt the AA was there before the implantation of the cathater and he said no. \"they couldn't have gotten the cathater tip in if there was already scaring.\" It seems amazing to me that in 6 months that area could have ossified? Could it be true that the pain pump (or all the operations and infections involved with it) caused this? If the Dr. had gotten the cathater out sooner would the damage have been less?

I thought he was going to recommend specific treatment, but he went on to say that almost all of the \"pain clinics\" have closed up. It seems there is not enough money made from the low rienbursment the Dr.'s get from Medicare. Most of us with this disease end up on disability often before we know what is going on. He said that the Primary Care Dr.'s are having to do pain management which they are not trained to do so most of us end up on lower doses of the wrong meds in the Dr.s effort not to be investigated by the FBI! There is also a tendency to perscribe \"long-acting\" drugs because the script requires filling less often-which illicits less attention etc..

The thing that gets me is that I still don't know what caused the original pain! What a nightmare this has been. The cure in my case has made what I tried to fix 100 times worse.

The MRI report I refered to above also showed flattening of the cord at C6,C7. I have been having cape like pain in my arms and sholders and know that the stenosis is worse in that area then before. The Dr. would not discuss that...it wasn't on the agenda. He did say that a depomedrol injection might help. I asked him if he believed that was safe and he said absolutely. Everything I have read says otherwise. I told him no thanks.

The whole process was very disappointing. The lesson rienforced to me was that I must be intimately involved in my own medical care and keep squeaking until I get oiled. I am fortunate to have found a Primary Care Dr. that is willing to perscribe for me and is not full of opiate phobias. Count my Blessings one day at a time is all I'm left with today.

I am grateful to you for this site. The material here from Dr. Sarah has educated me and I feel empowered to make the hard choices I face. This forum gives me someone to talk to and experiences to share.

Somehow it does not seem fair that the pump which was supossed to relieve pain has caused so much. Perhaps the truth is that it is something tangible to blame. We all get tired of shadow boxing.

Have a fun Birthday.
Marti

Re:doctor help please on procedure ? or anyone... 18 years, 8 months ago #126

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Marti
I will get back to you but right now, my daughter has been fast tracked for Breat Cancer, just six years after I went through the same thing on the same day!! I do everything I can for Arachnoiditis but this is my baby, She is 39 and doesn't need this!
I will get back to you tomorrow.
Happy Birthday not!!
Kim
Getting there
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds