• Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Neuropathy?

Neuropathy? 12 years, 8 months ago #1062

• Catlover1
  • Junior Boarder
I`m experiencing excruciating pain in my left foot since Sept last year.
Plantar Faciitis and Tarsal tunnel syndrome was diagnosed, had the operations for that but the pain persisted.
Then a peroneal compression was suspected, had the tests done, which indicated loss of nerve sensation and atropathy of muscles. Had the decompression operation, but still the pain is driving me mad.
Now I`m getting a bit desparate about this issue, and would like to know if AA (confirmed) can be the cause of this? The drs. are stumped, I am on Neurontin at the moment but it is not even touching the pain levels. I would like any advise on this, please?
Elizabeth

Re: Neuropathy? 12 years, 8 months ago #1068

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Elizabeth
Firstly so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I know exactly how you are feeling as I am suffering peripheral neuropathy in both feet at the moment and I am out of my mind trying to cope with additional pain in trying to walk.
I am not medically qualified but I will copy this in for DocSarah but she is quite ill herself at the moment.
It has been suggested that I try Emla Cream or Lidocaine gel (same thing really) and half an hour later use Capsaicin cream (chilli peppers). Going to give it a go next week so will let you know. Try asking your Drs if they are stumped and see what they say. As it is not systemic at least if you have an adverse reaction you can stop straight away.
Let me know how you get on
Best wishes
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tarlov

Re: Neuropathy? 12 years, 8 months ago #1069

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Kim, hope you're doing well. How did you get on with using the emla cream and capsaicin?

Re: Neuropathy? 12 years, 7 months ago #1070

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Events over took me and I haven't tried yet but will have to get the dreaded appointment for next week as this 'flare up' is lasting too long now. As long as I stick to the topical applications, I think I should be OK. At least if I have an adverse reaction I can stop right away!
Let you know next week
Bye for now
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tarlov

Re: Neuropathy? 12 years, 7 months ago #1072

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Well I have tried. Managed to get Emla cream OTC (Over the counter) In the UK $4.50 equivalent for 1 inch tube!! Capsaiscin not available in UK (except POM - Prescription only Medicine, my daughter goes to New York twice a year so would have to wait until October. (September is just too sad for you)
Anyway her friend is sending me some in the post tomorrow, so hope it gets through Customs!
My friendly GP is on holiday so try going into a consult to a stranger and say I want this, that, for this self diagnosed condition.
Keep you informed when the postman arrives
Living in hope as always
Kim
The following user(s) said Thank You: kev, tarlov

Re: Neuropathy? 12 years, 7 months ago #1074

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
mmmm:)
Hi Kev
Capsaicin arrived today Saturday and had my first sessions Emla cream followed 20-30 minutes later by the Capsaicin cream.
I had immediate relieve, with so much less pain. It lasted about 3 hours and then I had to walk. Instant pain again. Had another application a couple of hours after that and this lasted just over two hours before I had to walk again, although the pain was less. The return of the pain was less though and tolerable, just. Am now trying another application before going to bed to see what happens overnight. Should have done this in the bedroom so didn't have to walk but taking things up and downstairs is difficult.
One day trial is insignificant but if it works even for a few hours at time I will try getting it on prescription. I will keep you posted.
Bye for now
Kim
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds