Second Opinion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Second Opinion

Second Opinion 18 years, 8 months ago #131

• Marti
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Everyone,
I went to Mass. General to meet with an \"expert\" on AA. His recommendation was Depomedrol injections! He has written papers defending the use of this drug. He claims poorly placed needles and having it done too many times is the problem. I didn't argue with him. He said he could not recommend any pain clinics since they have closed for the most part. Most people that go to the clinics are on disability and Medicare dosen't pay enough. None of the Dr.'s want to have the DEA bust them for perscribing high doses of narcotics.

I asked him to look at my MRI and explain to me what he saw. He said that yes I did have AA where the pump catheter had been. He said I didn't have it before the pump. (What was causing the pain that was severe enough to have a pump put in?) I asked him to look at c6 and c7 and the flattened spinal cord there and he said that was not on the agenda for this appointment. I left there so frustrated. No one is going to stick anything into my spine again! I asked him if he thought it would spread and he said no, unless I have the genetic kind. All three of my siblings have it too I told him. He changed the subject. He is a retired neurologist that just does these consults and he made sure he didn't go a minute over the alloted time.

I have a new Primary Care Docter that is wlling to perscribe whatever pain meds I need. The problem is, he doesn't know alot about the various kinds etc.. He thinks that 300mg of MScontin is as high as I should go. I hate morphine and would rather use oxicontin but he has to figure out how much Oxi equals 300mg MScontin. He did give me Lunesta to help me sleep. Between the pill and a puff or two, I have been able to sleep and feel so much better for it.

I have to let myself be discouraged for a few days and then get on with it. On with what? Sitting in a chair for days on end. I did manage to get to a dog show. I breed French Bulldogs and my 10 month old bitch pup got her first point. I used to handle myself. It was hard to have to pay a handler. So much I can't do anymore. I am really trying to find the new me in all this. Anyone in this group managed to do that?

Marti

Re:Second Opinion 18 years, 8 months ago #136

• Marti
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kim,
So good to hear from you! Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to Dr. Smith's new postings.
Marti from RI
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds