Welcome, Guest

Just discovered dye was not used in ct epidural
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just discovered dye was not used in ct epidural

Just discovered dye was not used in ct epidural 10 years ago #1459

• Lupa
  • Fresh Boarder
I wonder if anybody can help me with this. I am showing all the signs of arachnoiditis after a very painful epidural steroid injection back in September. The relevant notes in my records were missing for this procedure. I have managed to track them down and they say that NO CONTRAST DYE was used. I don't understand what the point is of the ct scanner if they're not putting dye in to make the structures visible. I am very upset. I think the reason it was so painful is that he put it all in my spinal column. Triamcinolone and marcaine. My symptoms are really bad now and it goes through to my arms as well as my legs. I'm so scared about when the incontinence will start. The tingling in the saddle area only started this week. I'm just so scared.

Re: Just discovered dye was not used in ct epidural 10 years ago #1460

• helen
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Lupa

Don't worry about NOT having dye during your scan - they contain substances that can cause burning pain and allergic reactions and sometimes the body finds it difficult to remove. I personally would never have a contrast agent again!

Please try not to stress yourself by worrying about incontinence - my bowel's been damaged for 15 years and I'm not incontinent.

Having very frequent flare-ups at the moment, so can't sit at my computer for long.

Stay in touch Helen

For Your Info:
Intravenous radiocontrast, or IV dye, is used for many different diagnostic procedures to enhance the images in various radiologic studies. Examples of studies include computed tomography (CT) scans, angiograms, and pyelograms. These diagnostic procedures are done on a daily basis in hospital interventional radiology and cardiology departments around the world. In general, they are used to enhance the visibility of blood vessels.1

There are two basic types of contrast media that are used for most radiologic studies: ionic high-osmolality contrast media and nonionic low-osmolality contrast media. The latter has become the preferred form of IV dye in recent years, given its better safety record, especially for women who are breastfeeding. However, it is far more expensive than high-osmolality contrast media. Allergy reactions to IV dye are common, can range from mild to moderate, and can sometimes be life-threatening.1

It is believed that people who have an allergy to seafood (shellfish) may show an allergy to contrast media as well, due to the presence of iodine in both. We will briefly review the types, applications, and allergy profile of these products in this article.
Last Edit: 10 years ago by helen. Reason: added text
The following user(s) said Thank You: ann
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds