• Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: pregabalin

pregabalin 18 years, 5 months ago #180

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Folks,

I'm interested to know what experiences people have had woth the new anticonvulsant pregabalin. We have not had its use authorised by our local Drugs and Therapeutics Committee which is a shame as I've found it helpful in people with nerve pain that haven't found gabapentin beneficial.

regards,
DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:pregabalin 18 years, 5 months ago #183

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Doc
See your typo's haven't inproved!
What is this new pregabalin? News please!
Have some members not having a good time with gabapentin, so any info would be welcome.
Nemesis
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:pregabalin 18 years, 5 months ago #204

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Nemesis,

still keeping me on my toes I see!!

Pregabalin (Lyrica: Pfizer) is a newer version of gabapentin, which seems to work well in some people who either find gabapentin unhelpful, or are unable to tolerate it, or find it works at first but then stops after a while. It is good for nerve pain, especially the shooting electric type. It also aids a good night's sleep (better than amitriptyline) and is good to combat anxiety which so often comes with chronic pain of any type partly because it causes such a strain on the whole system and depletes neurotransmitters (chemical messengers).

Start dose is 75mg once or twice a day, gradually increasing to a max of 300mg twice a day. It starts to work within a couple of days, quicker than gabapentin. Side effects of sedation and dizziness are the most common, but these tendto subside within 2-4 weeks, so if you are trying this drug, give it a chance to work!

Hope this helps.

Luv

GD
[b]DocSarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds