• Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest

update on How Arach causes pain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: update on How Arach causes pain

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #243

• mitsuyo
Dear DocSarah,

It's always so encouraging to read your reply, and again thank you for taking time to read all my posts and to answer them!

I guess the joint pains experienced by those with AA could include any joint, such as fingers, knees, and ankles. I wonder why though.

Also, I didn't think fibromyalgia involved swelling of joints, as it does not cause any inflammation. Since I am not on any medications that could cause swelling, I wonder what caused my swelling, which got better when I started taking Medrol, which is anti-inflammatory medication.

I did see an internist a few days ago and had EKG done, which was normal. My heart does beat fast at resting from time to time, and both she and my rheumatologist said it was fine to take Atenolol as needed. I started taking Motrin on top of Medrol and was told to take medication, like Pepcid, to protect my stomach at the same time. So far, it's not getting better but rather spreading to the right side. Left side pain is more like around lymph node near the armpit, and I do feel like my breast is \"engorged\" as if I were still nursing. I am going back to my rheumatologist's office on Monday.

Well, I am sorry that I keep coming up with more questions for you. Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Mitsuyo

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #246

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Mitsuyo,

I think you should make sure you get this chest pain checked out to exclude any infection in the armpit area.

You are correct in saying that fibromyalgia does not cause swelling. So the joint swelling you have is a bit of a mystery. But it could be related to AA.

Good luck on Monday,

Regards,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #248

• mitsuyo
Hi DocSarah,

I really appreciate your concern. I am very anxious to find out if something else is causing my chest pain. Also, I don't know why my pulse seems to fluctuate even while resting. I seem to experience something atypical or unexplainable medically, which doctors tend to think there is no need to worry about since they can't figure out why. Well, it sounds just like what people with AA go through...

I know you yourself have a lot on your plate, but you still take time out of your busy schedule to read our posts and reply with careful thoughts and words. I am so very grateful that you do what you do. I just joined this Forum very recently but feel like I have learned so much here. Thank you so much for being there for me and all others who suffer from AA.

Best regards,

Mitsuyo

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #250

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Mitsuyo,

I'm just glad to help in some small way. I hope you solve the mystery of your chest pain and the fluctuating pulse rate; it could all be related to something fairly straightforward like an infection.

Let me know how you get on.
All the best,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #257

• mitsuyo
Hi DocSarah,

I went to see my rheumatologist yesterday. She could reproduce the pain when she pressed along the ribs, including the area bear the armpit, and therefore concluded that the pain was from Intercostal Neuralgia. She didn't think there was any infection. She didn't think the pain was from a heart condition. She said that Costochondritis is confined to the junctions where the breast bone meets the rib bones and that it doesn't affect the side or back. I had an MRI of Thoracic spine done in 2004, but it was normal except there was a mild scoliosis. Based on this MRI, she didn't think I had any problem with the spinal cord area. FYI: The MRI done in 2003 showed a mild disc herniation at, I think, T9-T10 and atypical looking hemangioma at L1. Do you think I should get another MRI? My whole spine hurts too.

So, she told me to try Lyrica to deal with the neuropathic pain of Intercostal Neuralgia and to try to do more vigorous stretching, and even yoga or pilate type exercise. If the pain gets worse, she will give me a nerve block injection. Would you mind explaining Intercostal Neualgia (what it is, possible causes, treatment options, etc) since I can't get any good information on any website so far. Do you think Lyrica is appropreate for the treatment of this condition?

For fluctuating pulse, she said I should get another consultation from either my internist or a cardiologist and ask for Holter monitor. I read your article on Autonomic Dysreflexia yesterday, which pretty much describes what I have been experiencing. Does it mean I could have cord injury somewhere above my lower back? I am really tempted to believe there is AA in my cervical spine, at least. Any thoughts on this one???

I can't thank you enough for all your help! I am so grateful to know you are there for us. I do apologise for a lengthy post again.

Best regards,

Mitsuyo

Re:update on How Arach causes pain 18 years, 4 months ago #258

• mitsuyo
Hi DocSarah,

I went to see my rheumatologist yesterday. She could reproduce the pain when she pressed along the ribs, including the area bear the armpit, and therefore concluded that the pain was from Intercostal Neuralgia. She didn't think there was any infection. She didn't think the pain was from a heart condition. She said that Costochondritis is confined to the junctions where the breast bone meets the rib bones and that it doesn't affect the side or back. I had an MRI of Thoracic spine done in 2004, but it was normal except there was a mild scoliosis. Based on this MRI, she didn't think I had any problem with the spinal cord area. FYI: The MRI done in 2003 showed a mild disc herniation at, I think, T9-T10 and atypical looking hemangioma at L1. Do you think I should get another MRI? My whole spine hurts too.

So, she told me to try Lyrica to deal with the neuropathic pain of Intercostal Neuralgia and to try to do more vigorous stretching, and even yoga or pilate type exercise. If the pain gets worse, she will give me a nerve block injection. Would you mind explaining Intercostal Neualgia (what it is, possible causes, treatment options, etc) since I can't get any good information on any website so far. Do you think Lyrica is appropreate for the treatment of this condition?

For fluctuating pulse, she said I should get another consultation from either my internist or a cardiologist and ask for Holter monitor. I read your article on Autonomic Dysreflexia yesterday, which pretty much describes what I have been experiencing. Does it mean I could have cord injury somewhere above my lower back? I am really tempted to believe there is AA in my cervical spine, at least. Any thoughts on this one???

I can't thank you enough for all your help! I am so grateful to know you are there for us. I do apologise for a lengthy post again.

Best regards,

Mitsuyo
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds