Optic Migraines
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Optic Migraines

Optic Migraines 18 years, 1 month ago #346

• mitsuyo
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear DocSarah,

I hope you are feeling okay. I will try my best to keep this post short!

(1) Could AA cause optic migraines? I guess if it can cause headaches, including migraines, it could cause a variant of migraines, right? My understanding is that optic migranies comes without headaches.

(2) Could the optic migraines be accompanied by severe ringing in the ears?

(3) Could visual distortion vary among those who experience it?

(4) Could AA cause seizures? I am particularly interested in finding out if there is any connection between AA and partial seizures.

Thanks, as always, for all you do to support us.

Best Regards,
Mitsuyo

Re:Optic Migraines 18 years, 1 month ago #347

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Mitsuyo
Whilst waiting for the Doc to reply see if you can find any answers in this article
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...70&Itemid=51
Bye for now
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Optic Migraines 18 years, 1 month ago #348

• mitsuyo
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the link. I read the article, which is a little too hard to understand.

How does the leak occur? I have at least three MRIs of brain done in the last 3 years or so, and none of them revealed anything that is described in the article -- just non-specific tiny white spots (punctate foci) within the bilateral cerebral white matter.

The symptoms of possible optic migraines I have had so far are lightheadesness, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting while standing although it didn't come so suddenly. One time I fainted, but no headache. Another time, it all started with feeling stiffness, heaviness and weakness in both shoulders and arms and around the neck. I managed to walk around and finally settled at the toilet because I thought I was going to vomit. I started having some vision distortion and severe ringing in ears. It might be considered a blurred vision, but I just couldn't see anything except that everything was white. I was standing by the toilet as I had vomited a little that particular night, and all the sudden all I saw was whitish brightness. At one point I remember thinking I was seeing a frame of a wooden chair or something like that as I \"saw\" a brown outline of something. Our toilet is white. Then severe ringing in ears came with very high pitch noise. I could tell I was breathing very shallow and fast and my heart was beating fast, and I remember thinking to myself I needed to calm down and breathe slowly. Eventually, everything was back to normal. No headache came on. I have to ask my husband how long I was like that, but my guess is it wasn't that long (maybe less than 20 minutes.)

When I have a headache, lying down doesn't help at all, and it's most likely a tension type headache (most likely from neck muscle spasm). Zanaflex seems to be helping.

So, I am still confused.

Mitsuyo

Re:Optic Migraines 18 years, 1 month ago #351

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Mitsuyo,

in answer to your queries

(1) Could AA cause optic migraines? I guess if it can cause headaches, including migraines, it could cause a variant of migraines, right? My understanding is that optic migranies comes without headaches.

(2) Could the optic migraines be accompanied by severe ringing in the ears?

(3) Could visual distortion vary among those who experience it?

(4) Could AA cause seizures? I am particularly interested in finding out if there is any connection between AA and partial seizures.

(1) yes, in principle; optic migraines tend to give visual symptoms with or without the typical unilateral headache. See my article on headaches in arach.

(2) unlikely but possible; more likely as part of a general headache

(3) yes

(4) there's no medical literature on this specifically. Might be a side effect of medication such as gabapentin

hope this helps

regards,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds