Welcome, Guest

Muscle weakness
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Muscle weakness

Muscle weakness 18 years, 1 month ago #333

• Catlover1
I need help please!
This last couple of months I`ve noticed some muscle weakness in my legs but lately it`s become more pronounced. I find walking, or any other movement involving my legs, to be difficult. I can`t walk for more than 50m. then the heavy, weak feeling starts. With muscle pain in both upper and lower legs.
Is this a symptom of AA, or something entirely unconnected to it?
I`m so worried, and don`t know what to do!
(Ive had a midline myolotomy from T11-L1 in 1993, and was diagnosed with AA about 4 years later)
Elizabeth

Re:Muscle weakness 18 years ago #335

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Dear Elizabeth,

it is impossible to be specific from a distance, but yes, weakness can be a symptom of arachnoiditis. However, as a persistent but new symptom, you should get it thoroughly checked out.
All the best,

Regards,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:Muscle weakness 17 years, 11 months ago #364

• Becky
  • Junior Boarder
Hi elizabeth,
I also had this problem. My GP put me on Mirapex and it has helped a bunch. My legs are not as weak and it helped my spams and twitching. This drug is also used for restless leg syndrome.
Hugs,
Becky

Re:Muscle weakness 17 years, 11 months ago #365

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Becky,

it sounds as if the symptoms come on when you are standing or walking. is that correct?

If so it is possibly a symptom of stenosis (narrowing) affecting nerve roots (Lateral canal stenosis) or the spinal canal (central canal stenosis)

It could however also be a symptom of AA; but it is important to get
new, persistent symptoms checked out.

Hope this helps,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:Muscle weakness 17 years, 11 months ago #367

• Becky
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Doc Sarah, Thanks for getting back with me so quick. Yes it does increase the pain 100% by walking more than standing. Doc Whitworth is trying to figure out why this is. First he thought that my vertebrae was rocking, there is no disc left in L-4-5. This was not the case, he has me scheduled for the Medial block on 4-27-06. I have a large support group out there and they say that this will increase my A. What is your thoughts on that. They are very bitter people and have been in pain for a long time. They say injecting anything into the spine can increase the A symptoms.
Thanks again,
Becky

P.S. How do you control your A?

Re:Muscle weakness 17 years, 11 months ago #369

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, in theory, injections impacting on the nerve roots could have the potential to stir up the inflammatory component of AA, but some would also argue that steroid preparations will reduce inflammation, which is one of the aims of the MBBB. The other, as I mentioned before, is diagnostic to see if that is the source of your pain.

As a general rule, I recommend avoiding invasive procedures of all types in AA. But individual circumstances vary and in some situations, the potential benefits outweigh the risks. Have you had a recent MRI scan? If so, is there any evidence of foraminal stenosis?

Hope this helps
Regards
DocSarah
[b]DocSarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds