• Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Depression

Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #472

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
This is maybe a silly question considering we all suffer Aeac but do other members suffer depression? If so how do you deal with it? I tried Prozac, Zoloft (lustral) Effexor and am also seeing a psychotherapist who considering he is attached to a pain clinic, should know a bit more about arac than he does which is nowt. Does anyone else just feel like giving up?

Re:Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #473

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
HI Kev
Lancashire right?
/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=690&Itemid=41 or
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...90&Itemid=41
I am not sure what I am suppose to include when I send you to a file on the our website.
Jamie coming tomorrow.

Depression is quite common with arach and HEY I am not medically qualified to say how much of that is medication induced!!!
But I will ask the Doc to post an answer.
Not sure about a pychotherapist - what is their role - do you know?
Thanks for populating the forum now it is secure again
Talk soon
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #476

• helen
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Kev
Yes, I often feel like giving up - getting out, but when things calm down just for a few hours my fighting instincts come back! I've just had a response from the Department of Health regarding the medical profession's routine use of unlicensed drugs and that the MHRA refuse to accept it's their responsibility:

Thank you for your email of 23 October to the Department of Health about steroid epidural injections and spinal cord injuries. Your email has been passed to me for reply.

I am sorry to read that you been disappointed to the responses to your concerns. However, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the responsible agency for this matter, whilst your concerns have been noted, I am afraid I can only suggest that you raise your concerns with the Agency again.

Everyone \"sits on the fence\" - but I keep trying !!

Re:Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #477

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Helen and Kev
Have asked the Doc to reply on depression and maybe update her article. Have got a new short article off her today which altho' I am not sure about some things will get Jamie to post on the Front Page this week. It does have some links I will follow up on tho'.: whistle: It's about Pain Management Courses and what to expect.
After Jamie's visit last week, there are going to be changes on the Front Page to include a section on New Articles
Not sure I have told the Doc yet!
Not sure I told Jamie either that I want a new links section but I think he can be bribed with a couple of courgettes or pumpkin or two!
Bye for now
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #478

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
HI Kev,

sorry not to repsond sooner I was locked out of the website due to hackers.

Yes, depression is a common problem in arach as in all chronic pain. This is hardly surprising as we are dealing with profound pain, lack of sleep and a wide range of secondary problems such as relationship strain, financial insecurity etc.etc.

Depression causes numerous problems including the following:
1. loss of ability to enjoy anything in life
2. irritability
3.lack of energy/drive
4. low self esteem
5. hopelessness
6. sense of isolation (or the need to isolate oneself)
7. sleep disturbance
8.appetite disturbance

In addition, the chemical messengers that carry pain are also involved in mood serotonin, noradrenaline) hence the use of antidepressants to combat pain. These are used for pain at much lower doses than for depression.

Pain and depression feed on each other so a vicious circle is set up. Each makes the other worse.

Treating depression effectively often needs a two-pronged approach: medication and psychotherapy (CBT type therapy for instance). It can be difficult to improve depression without tackling the pain and the way it impinges on daily life. That may means trying to reduce the pain if possible and if not, trying to reduce the impact of the pain by promoting management strategies e.g. to improve sleep. It all sounds rather unhelpful I'm sure, and it is true that oftentimes doctors are the least helpful people to go to for help.

You can find more details on the site in my Psychological article.

Hope this helps,

regards

Docsarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:Depression 17 years, 6 months ago #479

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Not bad for a quick reply. The link you need is
/index.php?option=com_content&task=category?ionid=3&id=80&Itemid=41
for the Psychological Article. Will check if that works in a minute
Bye for now
Kim
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...80&Itemid=41
Lets see if that is better<br><br>Post edited by: Kim, at: 2006/10/30 15:20
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds