Welcome, Guest

WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS

WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS 16 years, 7 months ago #614

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
HI folks, yes, I am finally back although still not firing on all cylinders!

I have got post-shingles pain in my side plus I had a fight with a blind lad the other day and twisted my sacroiliac joint. Not really a fight, he stuck his white stick out under my legs as I was walking past him.

Anyway, enough about me, here is some news that might affect you:
A large number of doctors surgeries have changed their contact phone number from an ordinary 01/02 phone number, included in landline and mobile phone fixed price call packages, to a ripoff special rate services 0844 number (BT speak for covert premium rate numbers) . These are charged at ?3 per hour at all times from BT landlines (even if you have an inclusive calls package), ?8.10 per hour at all times from a BT Payphone and and up to ?24 per hour from some Pay As You Go mobile phones.
The petition to sign against these ripoff numbers is at petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/
The petition is already 50th out of 8000 on the 10 Downing Street website so a few more signatures should get it from Page 2 to Page 1 by size on the Petitions website and ensure it gets some more coverage in the national newspapers.

Hope this is helpful

Best to all,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS 16 years, 7 months ago #615

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Doc
Good to see you able to post again. No I didn't know about this but if my GP (UK) tried it I would have no way of contacting him:ohmy: I am on an all inclusive calls package for a monthly fee (cable not rip off BT). I put a block on phone premium lines but these O870 0845 and now 0844 numbers are not classified as premium numbers so can't be blocked:evil:
It must have been in the papers as I don't read them and if it doesn't get onto BBC News 24 I don't get to know.
Will certainly be signing that petition and will raise it with the Patient Forum I am on and put it on their website. (Ermm if I can find it - delegate Kim - someone else will knowB)
Thanks for that Doc and I also know you have other things, more positive in the pipeline but I need to remind you once again about pacing yourself.
I am trying to organise an email address for you at theAword.org site bear with me.
Bye for now
Nemesis
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS 16 years, 7 months ago #616

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi All
This is old news. The BBC posted it in 2005 why has it taken so long to be brought to the general public?
Signed the petition but useless really the incentives for GP's Dentists Opticians and out of hours services are too great. Primary Care Trusts invloved as well - no surprise there
Off now to follow up Ken and pregalin - think I got that right!
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:WARNING ABOUT GP NUMBERS 16 years, 7 months ago #617

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Doc, you've certainly been put through the mill .

Our local surgery changed to these 08444 numbers last year, most annoying!<br><br>Post edited by: kev, at: 2007/08/16 02:30
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds