Welcome, Guest

Evoked Potential Test !
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evoked Potential Test !

Evoked Potential Test ! 14 years, 8 months ago #847

• Ginnie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,I was wondering if anyone has recently had an "Evoked Potential Test"?I'm due to go in a couple of weeks to the Hospital for such a test and also an EMG test.When I saw the Neurologist a month ago,I was in 3 minutes,following my CAT and MRI and he just sat on the bed and said"well you do know you have Adhesise Arachnoiditis,after receiving the Myodil Dye,in fact it was spotted in 86 after the CAT then?So theres no need to see me again because thats probably the cause of your Peripheral Neuropathy"!!.Then 2 weeks ago I received this appointment for these tests.I asked my practise nurse about them because i have to see her every 2 weeks at present as they can't get my very high BP down,she just said "I've no idea but it's probably something to do with the AA thing".I'm trying not to worry about it (especially with my high BP),but I just wondered if anyone had any idea what these tests are for,especially as the Neuro guy said there was no need to go again!Thanks,Ginniex

Re: Evoked Potential Test ! 14 years, 8 months ago #848

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Evoked Potential Test ! 14 years, 8 months ago #849

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
here's some info.
Evoked potential test for multiple sclerosis

An evoked potential test measures the time it takes for nerves to respond to stimulation. The size of the response is also measured. Nerves from different areas of the body may be tested. Types of responses are:
Visual evoked response or potential (VER or VEP), which is when the eyes are stimulated by looking at a test pattern.
Auditory brain stem evoked response or potential (ABER or ABEP), which is when hearing is stimulated by listening to a test tone.
Somatosensory evoked response or potential (SSER or SSEP), which is when the nerves of the arms and legs are stimulated by an electrical pulse.

Each type of response is recorded from brain waves by using electrodes taped to the head. The visual evoked response (VER) is the most commonly used evoked potential test in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS).

Conducting gel and electrodes are applied to the scalp. The location will depend on the type of response being recorded. For example, when VERs are recorded, the electrodes are applied to the rear (occipital region) of the scalp over the brain areas that register visual stimuli.

Stimuli are delivered:
For VER by a strobe light or a screen with a checkerboard pattern.
For ABER by clicking noises or a tone sent through earphones.
For SSER by an electrical pulse at the wrist or knee. This pulse is a mild electrical shock.

Responses from the electrodes are recorded. The time between the stimulation and the response is called the latency, which indicates the speed at which the nerves pass a signal.
Why It Is Done

This test may be used when MS is suspected and a neurological examination alone does not provide enough evidence.

For a clear diagnosis of MS, the doctor has to find evidence that multiple parts of the central nervous system are affected. When there are symptoms clearly caused by MS lesions of the spine but no visual symptoms, the visual response may be tested anyway. Abnormal results in such cases mean that there are also areas of damage (MS lesions) on the brain.
Results

Findings of this test may include the following.
Normal

The time between the stimulation and the nerve's response is within the normal range.
Abnormal

Some people who are free from symptoms in the nerve area tested will still have abnormal responses in that area.

Abnormal response times can also be associated with other neurological diseases or with damaged optic nerves and eyes.
What To Think About

An evoked potential test typically takes half an hour or longer to do.
BTW, the high BP may well be related to the AA.
Hope this helps,
DocSarah

NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds