Cannabis trials and research for pain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cannabis trials and research for pain

Cannabis trials and research for pain 18 years, 11 months ago #9

• Aly
  • Fresh Boarder
Aly, hoping not to offend anyone,
Doctor suggested cannabis for pain relief, say one in six medicinal users in the UK-MUHC study

Source: MUHC Communications [newswire]
March 17, 2005

Sixteen per cent of people who use cannabis for medical reasons say that their doctor suggested it, according to research published in the March issue of IJCP, the International Journal of Clinical Practice.

Nine hundred forty-seven people in the UK reported using cannabis for medical purposes, with more than a third (35 per cent) saying that they used it six or seven days a week. The majority (68 per cent) said that it made their symptoms much better.

\"The results of our UK survey, including the extent of use and reported effects, lend support to the further development of safe and effective medicines based on cannabis,\" says lead author Dr Mark Ware, principal investigator and pain physician at the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) Pain Centre.

People with chronic pain were most likely to use cannabis for medicinal purposes (25 per cent), followed by patients with multiple sclerosis (22 per cent), depression (22 per cent), arthritis (21 per cent) and neuropathy (19 per cent).

Younger people, males and those who had used cannabis recreationally were also more likely to use it for medicinal reasons.

Key findings included:

73 per cent of respondents used cannabis at least once a week, with 35 per cent using it six or seven times a week.
62 per cent said a friend, family members or acquaintance had suggested it and 55 per cent said they had read a book or article about cannabis. Nineteen per cent were prior users or had found out its benefits by accident and 16 per cent said their doctor had suggested it.
The majority of users (82 per cent) smoked the drug. Other methods included eating it (43 per cent) and making cannabis tea (28 per cent).
916 reported average usage levels, with the largest percentage (27 per cent) using one to two grams per day. Only 2 per cent used 10 or more grams a day and 7 per cent used five to nine grams a day.
45 per cent of 916 respondents said cannabis worked better than prescribed medication. Thirty per cent of the 872 who answered the question on side effects said that prescribed drugs were worse than cannabis and 34 per cent said the side effects were much worse.
77 per cent of 876 respondents said their symptoms returned or got worse when they stopped using cannabis.
\"To our knowledge, this is the most extensive survey of medicinal cannabis use among chronically ill patients conducted to date,\" says Dr Ware. \"We believe that it presents a broad picture of the current state of cannabis use for medicinal purposes in the UK.\"

Source:
Annette Whibley
Wizard Communications, UK
01926 330504

Re:Cannabis trials and research for pain 18 years, 11 months ago #10

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Very interesting post. Can I copy and email DocSarah and get approval for posting article in main body of website?
If the Doc approves I am all for it! If the Doc doesn't I am still all for it because the forum is new and I would like this to get to as many people as possible.
My own experience re Cannabis is that if you have a 'respectable' condition like MS or Arthritis, you were accepted onto the GW trials for Cannabis substitute. If you had Chronic Pain - forget it. If you had Arachnoiditis - forget it - it was all in your head anyway!
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds