Introduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Introduction

Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #964

• Juva
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Everybody,
I'm new here & desperate for information & support. My name is Juva, I'll be 50 next month. I've had chronic pain for the past 12 years.To make a long story short..(kind of) LOL
Two years ago, I started experiencing sciatica, my doctor ordered an MRI, which showed a bulging disc & a nerve sheath cyst. I had a series of epidural steroid injections, which only served to make things much worse. I had a consultation with a neurosurgeon last month who told me that because nothing is touching the nerve, he can't help me. I now have an appointment with a neurologist on 10-19-10. I've been on 10mg Lortab & muscle relaxers, which barely touch the pain.
I've had to take a medical leave from my job & can't stand or sit up for more than 10 minutes at a time without experiencing excruciating pain.
The strange thing is that the pain doesn't seem to hit until later, not during.
After researching this condition, I afraid that the neurologist will dismiss the possibility immediately, because of the stigma & it is so seldom diagnosed.
I have all of the symptoms, except for the feeling of something running down my legs. I even had a hysterectomy 5 years ago because of abdominal pain, which I now contribute to this.
Any suggestions on how to approach the possibility with the neurosurgeon?
I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody & I apologize for such a long post.

Juva
P.S. I had an epidural with one of my children that went bad & the dr had to do a blood patch & I also had an epidural with a c-section years ago.

Re: Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #965

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Juva
Considering you have had all the risk factors I'd be surprised if you didn't have any symptoms! Anyway have copied you into DocSarah and hopefully will get a reply by Monday. That way you get a medical answer, if there is one. The something running down your legs is not a symptom I have either but my daughter does following just six failed attempts at a lumbar puncture. Thankfully nothing else.
Anything else I can help with let me know
Best wishes
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re: Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #966

• Juva
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kim,
Thank You for responding. It seems that it's difficult to find doctors who recognize/admit arach. That scares me because it's so easy to get labeled as a drug seeker in todays world & if we don't get the treatment that we need, it's a life of agony. Unfortunately, pain is difficult to prove.
I hope you're having aa good weekend!
Juva

Re: Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #967

• ellijaygal
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kim,

Did you get a copy of your MRI? An actual COPY? Sometimes a person may have AA and a physician doesn't necessarily want to specify that. They will specify disk problems, cysts, anything but AA. Thankfully I had a great neurosurgeon who after having two tethered spinal cord surgeries finally told me that I had AA and that was what was causing the problem. Although I was not thrilled to hear that I have a condition/disease that is chronic/debilitating and untreatable it was somewhat of a relief to know WHY my body kept doing the things it was doing.

I hope and pray for your sake you do not have AA and it will be something with a cure and you can continue on with your life once repaired.

Good luck and God bless.

Barb
"When it is dark enough you can see the stars." Charles Beard

Re: Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #969

• Juva
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Barb,
Nice to meet you, wish it were under other circumstances. I had to give my copy of the MRI to the neurosurgeon who said that he couldn't help me. He did mention in passing that it could be arach, in fact, he was so quick about it that I barely caught it & started researching it as soon as I got home.
I guess I should get another copy from the hospital, but I wouldn't now how to read it.
Even if it turns out to be arach, just having a diagnosis would be a relief, in all of these years, it's been insinuated that it was all in my head, been accused of seeking drugs, accused of being lazy, etc, etc.
Even now, I'm only able to convince my doc to give me 10mg Lortab & some muscle relaxers, which really don't help much. They don't like to treat pain, even when there is a clear cut reason, let alone when they don't see a reason for it.
I'm wondering what tests to request from the neurologist on Tue. I know that I need a new MRI, because my condition has greatly deteriorated since the last one in May.
I'm sorry this is so long, I'm just in desperate need of someone to reach out to who understands.
Praying that you all have a peaceful & comfortable day
Juva

Re: Introduction 13 years, 5 months ago #972

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Juva
Doctors recognize it just won't admit it! Part of their oath "First do no harm" also includes "never criticize or harm another doctors reputation"!
It's no so much the drug seekers label people have to fight but as a social benefit seeker! instead of working!!
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds