Welcome, Guest

Questions re treatments
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions re treatments

Questions re treatments 17 years, 10 months ago #404

• Aly
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Doctor Sarah, first I would like to thank you for your availability to answer our questions. I have a few here.

I go for intravenous lidocaine once a month and this for the past two years, obviously this is done in hospital and carefully monitored as it is not without sideeffects. I have found it does cut down on the burning of neuropathy.

It was suggested that I might be helped by IV magnsesium (clinical trial) do you know anything about this. I can only find a few non specific trials.

Thirdly on another forum someone is talking about Aimpro for arachnoiditis patients, again I can only find 2 very small trials, one halted without reason, (5 patients involved) the other 12 patients and these were all for optic neuritis MS. It is supposed to cause an antiinflammatory responce. As this info seems to be mostly coming from the UK I was wondering if you had knowledge of this drug and arach. Most info is from the drug company.

Fourthly, is muscle wasting commonly seen in arach. I continue to walk as I can but they are disappearing especially in one thigh. Much friendship to you, Aly

(arachnoiditis, central pain syndrome due to meningitis, allergy to the omnipaque)

Re:Questions re treatments 17 years, 10 months ago #405

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Aly,

Prof. Antonio Aldrete has been using magnesium I think it can help with spasms etc. and pain to some extent.

I am not familiar with Aimpro but will look into it.

Yes, muscle wasting is a common problem. Physiotherapy might help to tackle your problem area to prevent too much deconditioning. There can be an upside: I have muscle wasting on both buttocks so have a small bum!!

Regards,

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah

Re:Questions re treatments 17 years, 10 months ago #417

• Aly
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear Doctor Sarah, thank you for your reply. I am going to give the IV magnesium a try, it was explained more thoroughly to me a few weeks ago by my own doctor and as not much is touching the burning except for the IV lidocaine which doesn't have a long enough life, worth a try.

I had to laugh about the small butt theory. I used to be much heavier than I am now, have two daughters in their 20's and they are in admiration of my 'small butt'. In 'the olden days' a small waist was a plus but now things have changed. One of my girls informed me last week that 'hot pants' were back in style and I could certainly get away with them. Yea sure, styling with arach. go figure. The trick is to have a good seamtress.

As always I thank you, you were an integral part in helping me when I was in my limbo years and I'll always be appreciative to you for this.

Probably a good place to mention when I finally got to the pain clinic they put me on omega 3, although I can't see too much difference pain wise, blood wise my creactin protein which was sky high is now normal and I do find my cognitive ability much better.

I mispelled aimspro by the way. Much friendship, Aly
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds