Welcome, Guest

Enhancing scar
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Enhancing scar

Re:Enhancing scar 17 years, 4 months ago #494

• johnb
  • Fresh Boarder
As the fit person around here I have followed the progress of AA, so am commenting on observations rather than direct experience, and as readers of this site know, every case of AA is specific to the individual. However, St. was diagnosed some years ago as a result of progressive numbness from the feet upwards and had an MRI that showed a blockage that had opened up a syrinx within the spine, described as syringomyelia. In order to get the SF moving St. had a shunt (tube) inserted to bypass the blockage and get the SF down to the lumbar region. As AA was the underlying cause, a second syrinx opened that was drained (another tube) into a chest space rather than shunted. Although drastic, recent MRIs suggest things have stabilised for now, but all the other AA symptoms continue. This was a last resort as St. has advanced AA, but had things been dealt with sooner, I suspect that many of the symptoms could have been reduced or delayed in their onset. Don't get scared, this is a real worst case and probably unique.

Re:Enhancing scar 17 years, 4 months ago #497

• Becky
  • Junior Boarder

Hi John,

I am kinda confused by your post. My Dr never mentioned anything about going in there to try and open that area up. Do you think he will? I have an appt with him the 21st of this month, should I ask about this?

Hugs,
Becky

Re:Enhancing scar 17 years, 4 months ago #498

• johnb
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Becky, I think our situation may have been different. The symptoms were deemed to be due to the syrinxes rather than primarily AA, although that was the most likely underlying cause. All the other AA symptoms now dominate having relieved the pressure and getting a more free flow of SF. The best course always seems leave well alone unless really necessary. We have turned down several courses of action because of this, including further spinal investigations and pain pump. We now just do the painkilling drugs and anti cramp/muscle spasm pills rather than further intervention.

Re:Enhancing scar 17 years, 4 months ago #499

• Subur
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Becky,
Thanks for the info. I do belong to COWFA and a few other A. groups as well as a terrific Cauda Equina Syndrome board. All these message boards have been so helpful and supportive. Thanks goodness for the internet. LOL!
Sue

Re:Enhancing scar 17 years, 4 months ago #500

• Becky
  • Junior Boarder

Hi John, My Dr has agreed not to touch my back anymore. He is unlikely to push opening up that spinal canal. He has dx me with spinal stenosis on my last visit. He just keeps adding things to it. I hate all of this
Hugs,
Becky
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds