Welcome, Guest

New surgery for Arach?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New surgery for Arach?

New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 4 months ago #505

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi DocSarah, i wondered if you knew any details about this report i read regarding Portugese surgeons operating on Arachnoiditis patients with good results. I read of it on COFWA but i have copied a brief summary below.

Technical advance
New surgical approach for late complications from spinal cord injury
Antonio J Reis
Clínica Santa Catarina, 9000-045, Funchal, Madeira – Portugal, And Hospital
Sant'Ana, Parede, Portugal

BMC Surgery 2006, 6:12 doi:10.1186/1471-2482-6-12

Published 23 October 2006

Abstract
Background: The most frequent late complications in spinal cord injury result from
arachnoiditis and consequent alterations in dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid flow. A
surgical procedure carried out on patients with these alterations, resolved the various
pathologies more efficiently in all cases.
Methods: From October 2000 to March 2006, 23 patients were selected for surgery:
three showed signs of syringomyelia, three presented with microcystic lesions, three
presented with arachnoid cysts in different locations but always confluent to the scar
area, and 14 showed evidence of tethered cords. The surgery consisted of laminectomy
at four levels, followed by dural opening in order to remove all the arachnoiditis at the
level of the scar and to remove the altered arachnoid and its cysts, at least at two levels
above and below the lesion. The dentate ligaments were cut at all exposed levels.
Results: The patients had no postoperative problems and not only retained all
neurological functions but also showed neurological recovery. According to the motor
and sensory scale of the American Spinal Injury Association, the recoveries were motor
20.6% (P <0.001), touch 15.6% ((P <0.001) and pinprick 14.4% (P <0.001). These
patients showed no signs of relapse at 4-66 month follow-up.
Conclusions: This alternative surgery resolved the pathologies provoking neurological
deterioration by releasing the complete spinal cord at the level of the scar and the levels
above and below it. It thus avoids myelotomies and the use of shunts and stents, which
have a high long-term failure rate and consequent relapses. Nevertheless, this surgical
procedure allows patients the chance to opt for any further treatment that may evolve in
the future.

Am i getting excited over nothing here doc or is this really the first sign of hope for people like us?

Post edited by: kev, at: 2006/11/30 15:31<br><br>Post edited by: kev, at: 2006/12/02 01:06

Re:New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 4 months ago #506

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
I hope that DocSarah can see this next week when she gets back. It's not for me to comment as I am not medically qualified.
Personally I would like to see more evidence than 23 patients in 6 years and what the selection criteria was restricted to and how many were rejected!
Ann copied this for me from COFWA as she is my eyes and ears.
CAn I get back to you tomorrow?
Cheers
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 4 months ago #507

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Kim, i share your concerns too about the trial but even though it still appears the most promising news i've read about in a while.

Re:New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 4 months ago #508

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Having a bad arach flare-up on top of this hip job and my feet being 6 times their usual size.
Ann sent me the full research paper rather than an extract/abstract which makes me even more nervous.
Hoping the Doc can get back to us next week with her views. Fence sitting is not an option here so she better come up with the goods.
Talk soon
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 3 months ago #509

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Kim, i just read about your fall, what rotten luck for that to happen on top of everything else you have to suffer. Don't worry about not replying to posts sooner, everybody always seems to post in slow motion here anyway! Hope you are much better for xmas.

Re:New surgery for Arach? 17 years, 3 months ago #510

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Just got news the Doc is back and I have sent her everything I had about Portugal surgery.
Told her I need her to post this week:angry:
Still on six legs like a true arachnid. Pain out of control but hey I have a legitimate alternative condition. Think it will make a difference? NO, pain is so misunderstood by most of the medical profession)
Hoping to get Jamie on the website for some changes this week, here's hoping.
Bye for now
KIm:) I think
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds