Welcome, Guest

Tethered spinal cord?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tethered spinal cord?

Tethered spinal cord? 16 years, 11 months ago #560

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Doc, haven't seen you around for a while so hope you are doing ok. Can you clarify for me that if by having Adhesive Arachnoiditis, then by definition you also have a tethered spinal cord? I've been trying to research my condition for years and noted that my MRI said 'clumping of nerve roots at L4-L5' 4 years ago. Now if they are clumping (sticking?) and possibly sticking to the sides of the dura? is this tethering? And does tethering cause any notable secondary changes/problems/symptoms?

I ask as if i bend my head forward or lie on my back with a thick pillow under my head i get shooting pains up and down my back and the DR's often refer to me as having a 'Flat back syndrome'. My ortho said my last fusion op took 6 hours instead or about 2 due to the amount of scar tissue he found when he opened me up(this was my 2nd op) but i presume this was outside of the spinal cord but could that cause tethering?.

Kevin

Post edited by: kev, at: 2007/06/12 23:17<br><br>Post edited by: kev, at: 2007/08/22 03:23

Re:Tethered spinal cord? 16 years, 6 months ago #652

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Any news on when the Doc might be back to answer questions Kim?

Re:Tethered spinal cord? 16 years, 6 months ago #653

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Wish I knew. I am not sure she has the internet at her new home yet and I seem to be able to catch her sometimes, in between clinic sessions she has at the University Hospital. I know she has done some work on Cauda Equina Syndrome but these are specific queries, only she can answer for you. So I will try pushing some buttons. Will Monday be OK?
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...18&amp;Itemid=51
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...17&amp;Itemid=51
www.theaword.org/index.php?option=com_co...02&amp;Itemid=51
Three bits to keep you going using our Search button.
Talk soon
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Tethered spinal cord? 16 years, 6 months ago #654

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Kim, thanks for the links and the update on the Doc. I'm also trying to find out if there is any new news on that new surgery to remove AA. I wondered if this did turn out to be a \&quot;cure\&quot; how long would we be talking about before it was available here. The Doc obviously keeps her ear to the ground on these issues so if there is anything new i'm sure she'll know.

Re:Tethered spinal cord? 16 years, 6 months ago #655

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Waiting for a reply but what is this new 'cure'? I know the Doc is in touch with a chap over in Germany?Holland?Danmark? and has links, but I am sceptical. Sorry... Is this the Warnke report? The Doc always has my 100% support but I can't always agree with her. Won't stop you getting what you want tho' .
Got another one she has to answer for me, wish me luck, I will pin her down, believe me!! We've had too many battles over the years for me to be ignored!!!!!!
Post soon
Kim
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Tethered spinal cord? The Doc replies 16 years, 6 months ago #656

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Service with a smile, I hopeB)
The Doc speaks:
Sorry not to have answered your query sooner.
In essence, having clumped nerve roots adherent ot the dura is a form of tethering but isn't quite the same as spinal cord tethering as such.
As the adhesions thicken and take up more of the subarachnoid space, the spinal fluid (CSF) flow can be impeded which gives local symptoms at the affected spinal level and sometimes more widespread effects including upper body symptoms (pain, pins and needles, weakness, loss of sensation)and also postural headaches, which are like being hit over the back of the head when you sit up.
Scar tissue outside the dura (Peri or epidural) can compress the dura.
So you could have two different problems. Imagine the spinal canal is like a hosepipe, the walls of the pipe are the dura. If the hose got filled with muddy water, the mud might start coating the inside and build up to form a blockage. This will impair water flow. Also, if the pipe is coiled up and then something heavy put on top, that would put pressure on the outside of the hose and could compress it that way. Those are the two different effects of scar tissue.
'Flat back syndrome' is rather different: a bony mechanical problem where the normal curves in the back are flattened and this can cause muscular effects: the dynamics of the spinal column from neck downwards are all affected and you can get shooting pains as you describe. You might also find you get headaches, neck pain, upper body pain, band-like feeling around the chest, maybe even abdominal pain and then of course the lower back symptoms which can radiate to your legs.
IN addition, you are likely to have chronic pain syndrome which can cause widespread pain and things like trapped wind, urge to empty your bladder/bowels, headaches etc. can be a lot more painful than normal.
So it's quite a complex picture.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sarah

MMMM:angry:
Not heard of \&quot;Flat Back Syndrome before. I need an article!!! Some of those symptoms are quite common. Will be pushing for more.
KimB)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds