Welcome, Guest

Prolotherapy?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prolotherapy?

Prolotherapy? 15 years, 11 months ago #701

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Doc Sarah, have you any knowledge of Prolotherapy? As well as arac i still have 'lumbar instability' and have read that Prolotherapy is a very effective treatment. What do you think about it and would it likely worsen the arac?

Re:Prolotherapy? 15 years, 11 months ago #702

• Kim
  • DocSarah's Webmaster
Hi Kev
Problem with the eyes at the moment. Another "itis"! What is Prolotherapy? I haven't heard of it so maybe I should google!
NEMESIS - goddess of indignation against and retribution for, evil deeds. Apparently regarded as an avenging or punishing divinity - I wish.

Re:Prolotherapy? 15 years, 11 months ago #703

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
It's also called sclerotherapy and is an injection into lax ligaments, tendons etc to tighten them up. I think they are fairly safe but i'm not sure. Its said to give quite good pain relief.

Re:Prolotherapy? 15 years, 11 months ago #706

• helen
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Kev
I was offered these injections in 1999(of course I didn't know I had Arach at the time), and after reading a letter from my Neurosurgeon explaining what they are,I declined this dangerous intervention.

"The idea of sugar is that it causes a reaction as it is hypertonic (that is a solution more concentrated than blood) and as such tends to cause a reaction with an inflammatory response in the tissues into which it is injected. By injecting into the interspinus and supraspinus ligaments the reaction causes these to tighten and that restricts forward flexion and thereby reduces pain at thet level"

My BUPA health insurance informed me they do not approve of this procedure, as it is only sometimes used for sports injuries - with their prior consent! I also know a woman, who coincidentally was treated by the same doctor who injured my spine and she has considerable more back pain since receiving the "so called treatment".

Avoid it like the plague! see www.jointrehab.com/prolotherapy_side_effects.htm

Best wishes Helen
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by helen. Reason: added adverse reaction report

Re:Prolotherapy? 15 years, 11 months ago #707

• kev
  • Expert Boarder
Many thanks for that info Helen. Just not worth the risk by the sound of it.

Re:Prolotherapy? 15 years, 10 months ago #717

• DocSarah
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Kev,

sorry to take so long, have been away.

I'm not a big fan of prolotherapy, basically it is injecting foreign substance into your body which I would recommend is avoided when possible in arachnoiditis, especially if it is the chemically-induced variety (myelograms/epidurals) as your body has already had to deal with a toxic load. I am not aware of any convincing evidence that prolotherapy is effective either.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Regards

DocSarah
[b]DocSarah
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds